Friday, March 09, 2007

"For-here" cups are my friend...so is Andrea


Today, I went to lunch with my dear friend Andrea. Now, Andrea I haven't seen in a while. Haven't even really talked to in a while. How does this happen? Why? I really like Andrea. Why do we not talk to each other more often? I don't know. But I do know that I enjoyed our Taco Mesa and my blackened chicken tacos with no tomoatos and a small cup of tomato soup. Yes, I know. I'm strange. Ironic. An interesting dichotomy of taste buds. But, whatever. Deal with it. So yes, I know I enjoyed my meal and conversation with Andrea.

After I left Andrea, I went to Starbucks...the one on Alicia and Jeronimo. The one with a fireplace. The one where i don't know anyone who works there.
ALANNA: Do you have "for-here" cups?
BARISTA: Yes, we do...but only for you. smile.
I know she's lying to me.

So I get my cinnamon dolce latte in a "for-here" cup. Good decision. And I sit down and read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius for like 2.5 hours.

Such a good use of my day off. "For-here" Cups and Andrea.

But then...some dumb lady tries to ruin it. As I'm leaving Starbucks I put my car in reverse. Look in my rearview mirror. I see a champagne-colored camry with its reverse lights on. But they aren't backing up. I wait a second. Still no movement. So I proceed to back up. So does champagne camry. I stop. She continues to get closer to me. I honk- loudly. She CONTINUES to back up. Luckily, I am amazing. I am America. I am the Olympics. (thank you Dave Eggers). I am the best driver in the world. I put the car into drive very quickly and the car lurches forward. I can't tell if its because I shifted gears so quickly, or if the champagne camry actually hit me. But she continues to back up and drive away as if nothing happened. Why? I honked! What are you? Deaf? Oh gosh...what if she's actually deaf? Now, I feel bad. But she's OBVIOUSLY not blind. So I don't feel that bad. And when I get home and check my car. No sratches. No dent. Good.

So it was still a good day.

4 comments:

Julie Hibbard said...

You are starting to write like him. And I love it. It's the way that you and I think. And Allison too. And probably a lot of people. It's the way everyone would write if we didn't have rules and teachers and correct punctuation and run on sentence nazis. And I love Andrea Petty. I had dinner with her a couple of weeks ago. She's a deep thinker too. Perhaps all bloggers are, at heart. Why dont' we see the people we like more? Why don't you and I see each other often? We need to just do it!
We are kindered spirits....

andrea said...

You're sweet Alanna! I had a great time with you too! Sorry about the camry - I hate and love dumb drivers. They make me angry sometimes but i also love laughing at them. Let's get together more!
ps - Is that the best pic you have of me? hahaha

Luke St.Hilaire said...

"An interesting dichotomy of taste buds"

that is some good vocab going on right there

if i was a former english teacher of yours, i'd be very proud

Hayden Copes said...

i freakin love that that entry was written in the style of dave eggers haha