Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Vocab lesson with Alanna and Dave Eggers


As I've been reading A.H.W.O.S.G. I've been noticing that Dave Eggers' vocabulary is far superior to mine. This could be any of the following reasons.

1. He is a professional writer. I am not.
2. He owns a dictionary and a thesarus. I do not.
3. He was a pulitzer prize finalist. I've never even been in the running.
4. I haven't been in school for over 2 years and I am progressively getting dumber.
(although that will change on Monday...more on that later, I'm sure.)
5. He (apparently) is a "staggering genius". I am "not" a genius.

Anyway, here's the word I learned today.

solipsism:
1. The idea or belief that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
2. Extreme preoccupation and indulgence of one's feelings and desires; egoism; self-absorbtion.

Thank you Dave Eggers for teaching me something new today.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Wait, if I already knew that word, does that make me a "genius"?

Julie Hibbard said...

He's much cuter now than he was on the back of the book.
Staggering.

Hayden Copes said...

he is not a staggering genius, but his heartbreaking work is.