Friday, May 18, 2007

the smell of nostalgia

I want you to do an experiment. Look around you and pick up the first book that you find. Don't even bother to note the title. Don't read the rest of this blog until you have a book in your hand...preferably a paperback book. Do you have a book in your hand? No? Ok...I'll wait. Do do do do do do do DO do do do do do do (Jeopardy theme song...in case you didn't pick up on the universal tune for waiting.) Ok...you got that book? Good. Ok. On with the experiment. Close your eyes. Smell the pages. Fan the pages and give them a good strong sniff.
Ok...what book do you smell?

For me...it's Where the Red Fern Grows. The smell of every paperback book brings me back to when I first realized my love for books. Brings me right back to Billy Colman, and Big Dan and Little Ann. Thank you Wilson Rawls.

10 comments:

ali said...

this book made me cry on numerous fourth grade occasions. i'm gonna reread it.

jessie estupinan said...

I am a little bit confused. Are we supposed to pick a book, then see what other book it smells like?

Anyways, the first book i picked up was How To Smell Like God. It's a good one.

David Hughes said...

R.I.P. Big Dan and Little Anne

and also the kid who fell on the axe...you might not have been the best character...but you shouldn't have had to go like that...

Alanna Moine said...

the point of the experiment was to see what book the smell of a new book reminds you of.

Luke St.Hilaire said...

well i accidently read the title of the book i picked up on my nightstand, so i couldnt stop thinking about it

it was James Harriots Dog Stories, by James Harriott btw

Where the red fern grows was read to me by my teacher in 2nd grade. thats a little heavy for a 5 year old

David T. Ulrich said...

the only book i could find was some computer instruction manual...

it just smelled like computers.

Alanna Moine said...

luke, you were 5 in 2nd grade? Wow, you must have been a genius.

Allison said...

The smell of a new book reminds me of being in that fancy hotel in Paris...with you...and you gave me that super sweet edition of "The Notebook"

Anonymous said...

the smell of a new book reminds me of...

high school



...this book made me cry

Chris T (alanna's mom) said...

the first book I picked up smelled like either peanut butter or poop....? Did you wash your hands after feeding and changing Dustin?