Monday, August 28, 2006

redemption

This is a word / concept that I've been learning a lot about lately.

David Ulrich told me about this band called Leeland...and they have this song called Sound of Melodies that I really like. (It's my profile song on myspace) Anyway, a line in the song says "We're lifted up from the ashes, and out came the song of the redeemed."

Redemption. Redeemed. Redeemer.

These are all words that I've heard around church for most of my life, and I always equated to salvation, saved, and savior.

However, I am learning that redemption is much more than salvation. My view of salvation has been merely forgiveness for my sin. Lately I've been learning that God wants to do much more than just save me from hell. He wants to REDEEM me!


In my brain...the only way I can explain this concept is through the brave little toaster. Now, mind you it has been a long time since I've seen this movie...but this concept always reminds me of the junk yard scene in the movie.

There's all these cars...broken and abandoned in the junkyard...and the mean magnet is picking them up and putting them in the crusher where they will be...of course...crushed. Picture this scene...picture yourself as a car...in line to be demolished. You're broken, forgotten, mistreated. All of a sudden some one comes and stops the magnet, moments before your death. That is salvation...being saved from destruction. Now what if that person doesn't just stop the evil magnet...but he calls a tow truck...tows you to his house...fixes your engine, gives you a new paint job and upholstery. He even decides to use you and drives you around everywhere. You're like brand new!

THAT is redemption. Being restored, made whole, like new. One definition says, "to restore honor, worth, or reputation of." That is what God wants to do for us. Restore our worth and reputation. We've all sold ourselves short, damaged our worth, made some really horrible decisions. God doesn't just forgive us...He REDEEMS us! This is amazing to me and I love experiencing God's redemption! I think that when you really get this...that is when we can join in the Song of the Redeemed! Joining in with everyone God has redeemed and singing out and thanking God for making us whole.

That's what I've been learning/experiencing lately.

9 comments:

Annie Smith said...

ohhh alanna thank you for this i love this toaster movie it brings back fond memories. about the redemtion idea i want to think more about this.

i love you lots

Allison said...

So, basically, Jesus wants to Pimp Our Rides?

The Ish said...

good to see the blog back in action with a strong entry...and also glad to know that there are other people who sit around all day trying to figure out what our theology really means.

Josh(ua) Treece said...

The fact that you used the Brave Little Toaster to explain a tricky theological concept to grasp makes me admire and like you endlessly. If only all of the mysteries of God could be explained using cartoons...

David Hughes said...

man I love that toaster...

Swanny said...

nice...

ali said...

dear everyone,
how jealous are you that alanna is my wise, cute small group leader? very, i'm sure.
sincerely, ali labelle

Matt Jensen said...

You know that Pepperidge Farm bread, that stuff is fancy. That stuff is wrapped twice. You open it, and then it still ain't open. That's why I don't buy it, I don't need another step between me and toast. - Mitch Hedberg

Unknown said...

Leeland is SO hot right now. So is double wrapped bread. JG